Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Thursday, January 1, 2009 ~ Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God


Note: These Sunday & Holy Day Gospel Reflections are written so that mothers may prepare for Holy Mass in advance either as a small group or individually (especially since we are so often necessarily distracted during Mass itself).


Luke 2:16-21


The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known the message that had been told them about this child. All who heard it were amazed by what had been told them by the shepherds. And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart. Then the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, just as it had been told to them.

When eight days were completed for his circumcision, he was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.




Reflection

Sweet Mary! This Gospel helps me to picture you as a quiet, docile woman, as you ponder the birth of my Saviour. Teach me the virtues of silence and gentleness.

Bold shepherds! You go out and proclaim what you have seen. Help me to not be shy at sharing my faith with family, friends, and strangers.

My Jesus! From before your conception, God planned for you to be born of Mary and to suffer on Calvary. Everything I am is yours.

This day is one of my favorite feasts of the year! We honor Mary as the Mother of God, as the one who bathed him, fed him, changed him, taught him, and loved him tenderly. As a mother, the intimacy Mary shared with Jesus Christ inspires me to seek intimacy with Him, as well, to draw near to Him by caring for Him. By caring for others, especially my children, and by offering Him my sufferings as comforting caresses, I hope I grow closer to Him day by day.

Mothers are called to a very special role. The Lord God had a perfect role for Mary to play, but the key component was that God's plan relied on Mary's freely offered yes. I need to work on my "yes," to offer it more frequently and wholeheartedly, and most especially in those moments of tension or frustration when I just do not want to do it God's way.

God, please send Your Holy Spirit to infuse my soul and give me the fortitude to follow your will at all times, even when it is very difficult. I am weak and do what I do not want to do. I must rely on you. Help.

No comments: