Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Smile Mortification

In an inspiring book I have been reading on and off over the past several months, You Can Become a Saint! by Mary Ann Budnik, the author speaks of including mortifications in our daily prayer habits. As a sample, she gives us some ideas on how to start such routines and includes, for the beginner, the smile mortification.

It has been a while since I have read this part of the book, so I am not going to go into any detail on Mrs. Budnik's description. Instead, I want to tell someone...

It is hard! I am not a bubbly person, so to make smiling a part of my normal daily activities is actually a challenge. I find myself with a blank stare, a mommy glare, or a tired grimace 98% of the time!

Since reading this idea, I have half-heartedly tried to pay attention to my facial expressions to no avail. After all, I have many, many reasons to smile at all the blessings in my life, but it is simply not my natural appearance. I have decided I need to change my look for my sake and my children's sakes. This is certainly an act of mortification that will help my soul, as well.

Besides, yesterday when I was smiling for a while, my husband noted how beautiful my smile is. I am not sure I agree with him, but for his sake, I should smile more. So should the rest of the world, I think. Then, our world might be an even more beautiful place, don't you think?

No comments: