Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sunday, June 7, 2009 ~ Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity

Note: These Sunday & Holy Day Gospel Reflections are written so that mothers may prepare for Holy Mass in advance either as a small group or individually (especially since we are so often necessarily distracted during Mass itself).




Matthew 28:16-20


The eleven disciples went to Galilee,
to the mountain to which Jesus had ordered them.
When they all saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted.
Then Jesus approached and said to them,
"All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father,
and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."




My Reflection


What is it with the disciples and doubting? I honestly am becoming more and more aware of this revelation in Scripture. To me, what a consolation that even those closest to Jesus Christ were not 100% sure of everything He was telling them!

This Sunday is Trinity Sunday, the day our Mother Church reminds us that God is three persons. With last weekend being Pentecost, our minds are focused on the person of the Holy Spirit. Before that, our minds were focused on Easter Sunday and the resurrection of Jesus the Son. God the Father is ever present in all things, directing both the Son and the Spirit.

God, in His generosity and love, knows that our lives are full of varying roads and different seasons, so He reveals Himself to us in, not one, but three distinct ways. The mere existence of the Holy Trinity is a testimony to the overpowering love of God for His children. He knew we needed more than just a Father.

In my life, I have most certainly needed a Father, a Savior, and the Spirit at various times. God the Father has been with me to reprimand my misdeeds and wrap His enormous arms around me in times of great suffering. He is Who I thank for the multitude of blessings He has bestowed on me in my short life. Jesus Christ is my friend, the one to whom I most often turn on a daily basis, praying for grace and guidance. Then, the Holy Spirit seems to come and go, like a wind, in the times of life when I need inspiring, either when I am down in the dumps or when I am faced with serving the Church in some way.

How has each person of the Trinity touched your life? Reflect on your relationship with these three persons this Sunday.

No comments: