As indicated in my earlier post, below is the survey we gave to mothers to complete before the Day of Reflection for Homeschooling Mothers on their own, over the course of several weeks, in prayer. Our format included space for answers, but you can answer yours on paper or in a journal of any kind. Enjoy!
Feel free to pass this on if you think others would benefit. I merely ask that you not copy and paste the material but instead forward this permalink to your friends and family. I pray this survey brings many graces to your homeschool, as it has to mine already!
Personal Reflection & Self-Evaluation Survey
Instructions ~ This is not a test, and you will not turn this in. This survey is meant to be a tool to help you evaluate how things are going in your homeschool. It is for your personal reflection over the course of several weeks. Please print it out and take it to your quiet time on several separate occasions, perhaps to Adoration, responding to the questions carefully and honestly. Be sure to reread it all the way through several times before considering it complete. The survey is lengthy and detailed, possibly redundant at times, but this is by design to provoke thought in a variety of areas. It is fine, if after considerable reflection, you leave a question blank. You will not be asked to show it to anyone or share anything you do not feel comfortable sharing, but these general areas will be the primary topic of discussion at the Day of Reflection. So, if you plan to attend the Day of Reflection, please be sure to complete this survey BEFORE attending that day, although we will definitely not be covering all of these questions that day. Attach additional pages as necessary. Begin in prayer.
Section 1: Personal Spirituality
1. What are my greatest joys as a wife/mother?
2. What are my greatest struggles as a wife/mother?
3. What is my greatest virtue?
4. What is my greatest fault?
5. How would I describe my relationship with God?
6. How would I describe my relationship with Mary, Our Blessed Mother?
7. How would I describe my daily, weekly, and monthly prayer and sacramental life? (Mass, 8. Confession, Rosary, Adoration, Spiritual Direction, etc…)
8. What is my involvement in service activities either in church or elsewhere?
9. What am I doing to increase my knowledge of God and the Church (Bible study, cell group, etc…)?
10. Am I living in full acceptance of the Church’s teachings, especially in regards to issues of human life and sexuality? (abortion, contraception, sexual relations, pornography, infertility treatments, etc…)
11. How am I taking care of myself as a child of God, so that I can properly serve my family – physically, socially, spiritually, emotionally?
12. How am I sharing my faith with my children in a personal/intimate way?
Section 2: Struggles
13. What is the single biggest struggle I faced with each child this school year? (try to put something for each child)
14. Which of my children is struggling the most? Why do I feel this is the case?
15. What do I not like and/or is not working with my current homeschooling philosophy/approach/curriculum?
16. What struggles did I have in choosing appropriate materials for the year?
17. What struggles did I have in creating effective lesson plans this year?
18. What struggles did I have in planning my daily/weekly schedule?
19. What struggles did I have with discipline this year?
20. What subject areas are not going well and/or am I not enjoying?
21. What subject areas are my children not doing well in and/or not enjoying?
22. What challenges have I faced this year with my children’s activities outside the home (sports, music, etc…)?
23. What challenges do each/any of my children have socially? Am I addressing those?
24. What concerns does my husband have regarding our homeschooling and/or our children? (if you do not know, go ask him)
25. Name at least three other struggles from this school year.
26. My worst homeschooling day this year was…
27. How can I prevent such nightmare homeschooling days?
Section 3: Successes
28. What is the single biggest success I enjoyed with each child this school year? (try to put something for each child)
29. Which of my children is having the most success? Why do I feel this is the case?
30. What do I like and/or is working well with my current homeschooling philosophy/approach/curriculum?
31. How did I succeed in choosing appropriate materials for the year?
32. How did I succeed in creating effective lesson plans this year?
33. How did I succeed in planning my daily/weekly schedule?
34. How did I succeed with discipline this year?
35. What subject areas are going well and/or am I enjoying?
36. What subject areas are my children doing well in and/or enjoying?
37. What do I really like about my children’s current activities outside the home (sports, music, etc…)?
38. Which of our current social activities benefit my children the most?
39. What does my husband appreciate most about our homeschooling and/or our children? (if you do not know, go ask him)
40. Name at least three other successes from this school year.
41. My best homeschooling day this year was…
42. What is preventing me from having such ideal homeschooling days?
Section 4: Goal-Setting (refer back to sections 1-3 while completing this section)
43. Why do I homeschool?
44. What are my priorities in homeschooling? What do I hope to accomplish?
45. What big changes will be happening in my family this year that will affect our homeschooling? (new baby, moving, new job, pregnancy, high school, college, etc…)
46. In the coming year, how can I use my greatest virtue to my advantage as a wife/mother/teacher?
47. How can I use the unique gifts and talents God has given me in my homeschooling?
48. In the coming year, how can I work towards overcoming my greatest fault?
49. What elements of my personality do I need to consider while planning my homeschooling? (morning person or not, organized or not, etc…)
50. What changes do I hope to make in my prayer life and sacramental life?
51. How can I better incorporate the liturgical year and prayer in our homeschool? (school prayers, feast days, Lent, Advent, Easter, Christmas, etc…)
52. What changes do I hope to make in my service/outreach to others and my adult faith formation/education?
53. What questions do I need answered about my Catholic faith and Catholic morality to help me better understand these areas?
54. What other changes do I need to make to be a good example to my children of a person striving for holiness on a daily basis? (physically, socially, spiritually, emotionally)
55. How can I build upon and/or repeat the successes I had with each of my children this year in the upcoming school year? (name each child and ideas)
56. What things can I try with each of my children in the upcoming school year to overcome the struggles of this year? (name each child and ideas)
57. What things do I need to do to plan for next year that will help me to be a successful homeschooling teacher?
58. What questions do I need answered about how to have a successful year? (philosophical, practical, etc…)
59. What materials do I need in order to plan for a successful year? (books, furniture, etc…)
60. What new knowledge or information do I need in order to have a successful year?
61. What do I specifically need help with in order to have a successful year? (information, materials, practical help, etc…)
Again, here is the permalink for this post if you want to share the survey with friends and family! Thank you for NOT copying and pasting this post into emails or documents for distribution (for personal printing is fine, of course).