Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Prayerfully Planning Day 1 - Quotes

First some new quotes to inspire and encourage me, from some of my favorite saints and this site...

You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working; and just so, you learn to love by loving. All those who think to learn in any other way deceive themselves. ~ St. Francis de Sales

Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. ~ St. Augustine

If anyone comes to me, I want to lead them to Him. ~ Edith Stein

Be gentle to all and stern with yourself. ~ St. Teresa of Avila

Love takes up where knowledge leaves off. ~ St. Thomas Aquinas

In the first place God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.~ Mark Twain

I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think.~ Anne Sullivan

Of all the joyous motives of school life, the love of knowledge is the only abiding one; the only one which determines the scale, so to speak, upon which the person will hereafter live.~ Charlotte Mason

When I examine myself and my method of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing knowledge.~ Albert Einstein

The truly educated person has only had many doors opened. He knows that life will not be long enough to follow everything through fully. ~ Susan Schaeffer Macauley

Thank goodness my education was neglected.~ Beatrix Potter

There isn't any known way to bulk-educate; it's all custom work. ~ John Taylor Gatto

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. ~ William Butler Yeats.

No education seems to be worth the name which has not made children at home in the world of books, and so related to them, mind to mind, with thinkers who have dealt with knowledge. ~ Charlotte Mason

The way you help heal the world is you start with your own family. ~ Mother Teresa

To be Queen Elizabeth within a certain area, deciding sales, banquets, labors, and holidays; to be Whitely within a certain area, providing toys, books, sheets, cakes, and books; to be Aristotle within a certain area, teaching morals, manners, theology, and hygiene. I can understand how this might exhaust the mind, but I cannot imagine how it could narrow it. How can it be a large career to tell other people's children about the Rule of Three and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No: A woman's function is laborious because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. ~ G. K. Chesterton

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. ~ St. Francis Assisi


Okay, I'm motivated! Off to make lunch! Be back soon!

No comments: