Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Magnificat

If you are like me and cannot concentrate on prayer in the morning unless you have a guide to follow (or any time of the day, really), you should consider subscribing to Magnificat if you do not already get it. It will help you, not only in the morning, but also throughout the day to focus on the Lord and remember to pray. I subscribed to it years ago, but trying out the June 2009 issue has renewed my appreciation for this gem!


Many, many Catholics now subscribe to this monthly publication, which includes a prayer for the morning and prayer for the evening based on the Church's Liturgy of the Hours, Mass readings, meditations, and saint biographies and quotes for each day of the month. There is also the Order of the Mass and some additional prayers and articles. The publication is completely faithful to the Church and bringing her people to a deeper spiritual life.



Now, let me be honest and tell you that I am not planning to subscribe again to Magnificat. The reason is that I use the Liturgy of the Hours for Morning Prayer and Night Prayer already. The Magnificat shortens the Morning Prayer, and since I am already used to praying the longer form, I found that in praying the shorter form, I felt I was missing some quality time with God, since all I can manage in the mornings is to reflect on what I am reading.


The opposite is true for me for Night Prayer. I do not pray the longer form of Evening Prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours; instead, I pray the shorter Night Prayer. Magnificat does not have Night Prayer, only Evening Prayer. So, those prayers, for me, are too long, when I am exhausted at the end of the day and falling asleep while reading them. I hope that was not too confusing.



Regardless of my personal experience, if you do not already pray the Liturgy of the Hours or read the daily Mass readings, Magnificat is a fabulous resource to add these things into your day in the simplest way possible. (The Liturgy of the Hours books involve a lot of colored ribbons to mark various pages of liturgical seasons and feasts, so it can be pretty complicated to a beginner.) Try out a subscription and see. You will not regret how it will remind you to spend time in prayer!



This review was written as part of the Catholic Company Reviewer Program. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Magnificat.



The Catholic Company

No comments: