Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Our Treasure

I was privileged to attend a quick women's retreat this weekend. It was a 22 hour retreat given by my dear friends the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist. To be honest, I am still recovering from the lost night of sleep and ponderng all of the gems and nuggets, The Lord sent home with me. 


But I wanted to share a moment I had at th close of the retreat. You see, the women attending were of all ages. Some were young, unmarried. Some were widows and walked with canes and crooked backs. Of course, there were many of us in between, too. There were stay at home moms, homeschooling moms, empty nesters, and some who aren't able to have children. Plus I found one doctor, a medical student, some teachers, secretaries, and all those sisters! Women left behind families, large and small, many Catholic but a few where she is the only one boldly practicing her faith. 


The retreat theme was Mary, the First Disciple, and we closed our brief time together with a Rosary. Sitting there in the chapel with all of these women from different stages of different lives, I was struck by how we all knew the closing prayers of a Rosary. We recited the Our Fathers and Hail Marys in unison, but I got chills as we closed our prayer together. We said the Memorare and the closing prayer as one voice, seamlessly without much effort. And I realized once again what a treasure this Catholic faith of ours is. Too often, I take it for granted, but in that moment, I felt sorry for those around the world who do not have a universal faith, especially our fragmented Protestant brothers and sisters. Oh, what a treasure we have!

What is your favorite part about being Catholic? What practices do you treasure the most?

No comments: