Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Keeping Your Focus?

I overheard a conversation between two fathers this weekend that both saddened me and inspired me to keep my focus on what is really important, especially as the children become more giddy with excitement as Christmas rapidly approaches. It reminded me that most parents in our culture are teaching our children a set of priorities that are clearly inconsistent with the Gospel, and I want to do things differently.


I have made up names for clarity, as I do not know the fathers, but it appeared they each had two children. Their exchange went something like this...


Bob - So, are you two going to have any more children?

Sam - She wants more, but no way. Once you have the third one, you have to start cutting corners and giving things up. I want to be sure I can give them everything possible. With three, you just can't do that. You have to drop the lessons or the sports or the schooling or the gifts. After all, that's what it is to be a Dad, right? Providing it all for your children.

Bob - Oh, yes, I know what you mean. Absolutely. I want my children to have everything, just like my parents gave me everything I ever wanted or needed.


(I wanted to cry, but I said a prayer instead as I walked away.)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

That makes me sad too. I have 3 and while the finances are tight (thought they would be with just 2 also), it is so worth it. They get along so well and are each others' best friends. There's no greater gift you can give your children than a sibling (I forget who actually said this, but it's true!). It's really sad just how many people in the world feel this way.